Sunday, December 03, 2006

Iraqi "Camouflaging the Chimera"

My English teacher has us writing our own versions of the Vietnam War poem, "Camouflaging the Chimera". The difference is that we had to use the war in Iraq or Afghanistan as a subject. And the fact that Mr. Komunyakaa was actually in battle and none of us were.

----------------

We wore our stores like oxen.
Our faces coated in metal and
our bodies armored in plastic,

sand eroding our minds, blinding
our hearts. Protected by
steel dragons, we looked
through the eyes of our guns.

We crawled beneath walls and stood
atop dust, looking for the
rabbit holes in which our

serpents hid with mouths
agape. We stole their refuge
with grenades, but comrades
fled within, as well,

disappearing with familiar cries.
Our vision turned green when
flames lit the night, opening

windows to escape their masters.
We sneaked inside an
Iraqi store, ready to
attack our brethren.

- Brad Chambers [OGrilla]


Steel Dragon ^


Stealing the serpents' refuge ^

7 comments:

  1. Yep http://ourfancy.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like it ryhmed, when it didn't at all. Thats how good it is.

    <3

    (Guess who I am)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW.



    now give me points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

    ReplyDelete